> > A further project might be a program able to communicate with a java applet
> > to enable monitoring the ups from any java capable browser. This might then
> > be a complete functional replacement for APC's power-chute software, and
> > even better because it will work over the net on any client. But I can't
> > tell when time allows this...

As a brief aside, I suggest people consider Best Power over APC.  I
just ordered one of their Fortress II's after learning that not only
do you get more power per dollar, but they also publicly disclose
their UPS communications protocol (APC will not), and provide source
code.  I haven't actually gotten the thing yet, but that's what they
told me when I asked.  I know at least CDW carries these if anyone's
interested...

--
Rob