On Mon, Dec 08, 1997 at 03:02:09PM -0500, Daniel Martin wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Adam Klein wrote:

> > > (some stuff I said, leading up to a plug for
> > > http://www.math.jhu.edu/~martind/mybox.html)
> > >

> > I'm already using the smail setup described on your page, and it
> > was working great, until a few days ago.  Thanks.
> >

> Ok; hmm...
> Well, I'm willing to bet that it's still some change your ISP did.  Try
> going through a session "manually":
> After ppp is up, see what value you have for visible_name in
> /etc/smail/config (when I use $visible_name$ below, I mean for you to use
> this value). Now see what value you have for the smarthost "path"
> variable in /etc/smail/routers. (when I use $smarthost$ below, this is
> what I mean for you to actually type)

[testing suggestion snipped]

> Now, here's the thing - at some point in this little scenario, you should
> get the 551 message that smail keeps complaining about.  Assuming you do,
> telling people on the list where the error happens might result in someone
> being able to solve your problem.
>
> However, if you don't get the error message, then something's really
> screwy, and I'll have to think about how you'd go tracking it down in that
> case.

Thanks!  It turns out I had my visible_name set to my hostname,
which I figured wouldn't be a problem because I was using the
special smail tranport.  And it seems that for a while at least,
it didn't matter.  Then my ISP must have changed something, and
all of a sudden, I needed to use the correct value of $visible_name.

        Thanks again,
        Adam Klein