Remco Blaakmeer wrote:

> Ok, let's summarize the differences between the install programs. The
> Win95 installs have a simple design, are brain-dead and can present you
> with nice 'Next' buttons. The Debian installer can perform complex tasks
> but has a user interface that is hard to learn.

Agreed. <chuckle>, but I'm not so sure the Win95 install "wizard" could
be characterized as "brain-dead" at least not in comparison to the truly
brain-dead installations in Win 3.1 from 3d party suppliers especially,
and sometimes even from 3d party suppliers in Win 95/NT.

I guess there's a good deal of "comfort" level in those newer installers
that do it all and even warn you and give you the option of replacing or
keeping a newer DLL it finds already installed. (Similar in concept, I
suppose, to the dependency checks Debian does?)

BTW, the new Mac-based Office 98 from Microsoft offers the most simple
install - there are no extensions required - all you do to install is
drag the Office 98 folder from the CD to the Hard Drive and you're
done!! Now *that's* the way all software *should* be installed. I'd
*love* to see a fully windows-based linux that allowed installations
that simple (and reliable). Just Drag and Drop - and yer done.

Mac for several years has had even a smart drag and drop for stuff that
goes into the System Folder: If you drag a font into the system folder,
the system knows to put it into the Font folder; if you drag a Control
Panel, the system knows to put it in the control panel folder, etc.

I would think that if business types were to see that kind of software
management in unix systems like linux, they'd likely take a much harder
look at linux than they already are.

> Well, Debian is not much different. It's just that first-time users get
> overwhelmed (sp?) by the huge list of packages dselect shows them. That's
> something you'll have to get used to until deity is released.

'deity'? now there's a new one on me. where can i find out more about
it? i agree, i'm overwhelmed (sp ok) by the huge deselect list of
packages. Perhaps that's why i found RedHat easier to understand: there
was a simple check list: if you want such and such a function or program
feature, just check the box and run, or check the "install all" box and
just sit back - no dependency errors - it just does the install.

When I tried selecting all in a debian 1.3.1 install, I got tons of
dependency error messages - making me very unconfidant (sp?) that debian
"knew" what it was doing.

> Let me provide some info to help you with this.

Thank You Very Much for the explanation you provided in this section. In
the interests of conserving bandwidth, I'll delete/snip all but the
portions I comment on, but I really do appreciate that information!!
It's that kind of information that really helps a newbie up the learning
curve. :)

> The "whereis" command is called "locate". It reads a database that is
> updated daily if you leave the computer turned on and/or if you have
> installed the anacron package.

So THAT's why I was getting the message that the locate database was
over 8 days old. Later I found about the updatedb command, but it didn't
seem to work. Thanks for the anacron information, I'll look into that: I
suspect that allows one to keep the locate/db up to date even if one's
machine isn't turned on all the time (this Pentium II/233 is so new and
generates more heat than my previous 486 that I don't trust it yet
leaving it on 24x7. In addition, the cat would spend all her time on top
of the monitor <G>)

I just checked the Linux Man book I have from RedHat, and there was no
reference to anacron in the index. Where is a good source of information
on this?

BTW, that same book, the second edition, does contain documentation for
a whereis command (I thought its origins were in the unix world), but I
don't recall ever finding it or being able to use it in either the
Debian installation or the RedHat installation when I had them running.

> The "list" command is called "less" or "view". "view" is actually a
> read-only mode of the editor "vi". If you install the vi clone called
> "elvis", you'll have some interesting options.

I found elvis in my Linux Man book (from RedHat), so that's covered. But
thanks for the environment information below: our linux guru hasn't
passed that along to me yet - but then I've not had a stable
installation I can trust yet. :)

> To configure "less" to be more useful, you can set some environment
> variables. If you like them, place the commands to set them in
> /etc/profile and they will be set every time you log in. These are the
> commands:

So *that's* where I stash my environment setups. Thanks again for the
tips !!

> If you have installed "elvis", the "view" command can give you hex output,
> using the ":display" command. When viewing a file, type ":display hex"

Interesting thing about the DOS command LIST (actually a shareware
add-on that's very popular) is that you can say LIST <filename> and you
get an ascii display and then just do a Cntrl-H to switch the display
to  hex mode. Very convenient, and doesn't require restarting the
program with a different set of switches.

> BTW, I can send you a reference sheet containing a summary for the most
> used vi commands, if you like. It's about 8 kB of text.

I'd appreciate that very much.

With all the editors out there, I'd really rather settle on one that I
can use reliably. Our linux guru seems to prefer EMACS and that was the
editor that RedHat uses once you get into X-windows - it has a GUI
that's not too bad, except for the terrible default color scheme :)

>You should get a
> UNIX book from the local library to actually learn vi, but this will help
> you a lot if you can't figure out how to exit vi.

That Linux Man book I have (2nd edition) doesn't document vi, only
elvis, as noted above.

> Yes, that is, in my opinion, the most important point where Debian is
> still behind other OSes -- _beginner_ friendlyness. Debian may be user
> friendly (there is no typical user, so "user friendly" has actually no
> meaning at all for any program), it is not beginner friendly.

*That's* the term I mean: beginner-friendly. I think we agree 100% on
this point. ;)

> Yes, your position is actually typical for beginning Debian users. But,
> keep on reading documentation (as you should always do, but especially
> with Linux -- any Linux flavour) and one day you'll be an expert. :-)

What I really need is some sort of Tutorial document. The reference
documents, like the Linux Man book doesn't fit that bill. And the
HOW-TO's that I've printed off and read so far assume more knowledge and
comfort level than I'm at right now.

> > Tyson Dowd wrote:
> > > Perhaps you could explain why you think the Mac/Win UI is better?
> > > Is it just prettier, or is there some way in which it is a "better"
> > > interface for doing the job?
>
> I think it's not only prettier, but also better to understand for those
> who have never seen it before. Messages like 'click "next" to continue'
> make sense to everybody, the help screens in dselect are more difficult to
> understand.
>
> Remco

Good Point!! I'd sure like to know enough about the system to be able to
contribute to the effort to make the User Interface much more ergonomic.

Dave

--
--David E. Scott      Ohio Administrative Services
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       [EMAIL PROTECTED]