On 16 Jun 1998, Gary L. Hennigan wrote:

> I suspect this isn't a problem of application size. He'd have to be
> using a 386 with 4MB of memory for emacs to take 5 minutes to
> load. More likely it's a problem with emacs trying to get your
> hostname using "gethostbyname()" or some such.
>
> [Eric], make sure that your hostname is defined and make sure there's an
> entry in /etc/hosts for that name. If this is a standalone system, or
> you only connect to the network via dialup make sure that you have an
> entry in /etc/hosts like:
>
> 127.0.0.1     localhost <hostname>

This was the problem.  I'd removed the entry for my machine from
/etc/hosts (because the machine is now stand-alone, as it doesn't get a
static IP address on the office network and I haven't figure out DHCP
yet...)

I put the entry back and now emacs comes up in the traditional 5+
seconds.  Not bad for something that big! :-)

Thanks for the quick and accurate diagnosis!

--Eric House