On Sat, 2002-12-14 at 08:30, Calber Chainy wrote:
> Hello list:
>
> I recently investigated how to make my webcam work under linux.  Going
> through the kernel modules I was surprised to see there a driver for
> Philips webcams, but looking through the help it clearly says
>
>  PCVC665 and PCVC720 are not supported by this driver and never will be.
>
> So I wondered, having a pcvc 720, is there a chance to make it work
> under linux?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Chainy.

>From "FAQ Linux Philips USB Webcam Drivers" that I found via Google:

Why are the PCA635, PCVC665 (Vesta Fun) and PCVC720 (ToUCam XS) not
supported by your driver?

The answer is simple: Philips doesn't make them. This may come as a
shock to you, but it is quite common with computer hardware. These
cameras are so called OEM products: some manufacturer develops a piece
of hardware, and offers it for sale. Some other company (like Philips)
then decides to buy these devices in large quantities, stamps their
label on it, puts them in a box and sells them as their own, including
warranty and support.

However, with these deals the hardware specifications are rarely sold
with the device. Thus, Philips does not even have the documentation
themselves to give to me.
The reverse also happens: Philips sells their hardware to others who
repackage it or design a camera around it; this explains the large
number of "strange" cameras supported by this driver.

But, not all is lost. The PVCV665 actually has a driver (see the main
page for the link), based on its chipset. Something is happening for the
PCVC720 too (link is http://alpha.dyndns.org/ov511/ ).

The PCA635 is not supported because it is not a USB cam; it has a
parallel port interface.

The camera may use the OVCam driver that is in the kernel (since during
the 2.2 series) OR it may use a new chip from Philips (something they
are doing with the newer cameras under this model number.)

Philips  ToUCam XS (Model PCVC720K, old version)   N/A  OV518   OV6630
Working. See the FAQ for more information
Philips ToUCam XS (Model PCVC720K, new version) N/A VID: 0x471,
PID:0x373 Unknown This appears to be an unsupported Philips chip. Please
contact the pwc driver author (http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/ ).

If you have the newer model, that puts you back to the PWC driver, which
you should be warned has a binary only component and *taints* your
kernel as a result. There are two parts - in the kernel distribution is
PWC, which is Open Source, and then you would need to also get the
non-free binary-only PWCX, which has the decompressor and the parts
related to Philips proprietary information.

HTH

ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]