Martin Bialasinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> >> "DP" == David Parmet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> DP> who is this pid 109 and what does it want with my life?
>
> pid = Process ID
>
> To check what prozess has ID 109 do a "ps ax|grep 109"

Incidentally, if you have the process id already, all you have to do
is:
ps <pid>
That is,
ps 109

The advantage of this is that you also get the headers telling you
what each column means; for example when one does:
ps u 1
And gets:
USER       PID %CPU %MEM  SIZE   RSS TTY STAT START   TIME COMMAND
root         1  0.0  0.2   768    76  ?  S   Jul 26   0:03 init [2]

One has at least some chance of figuring out what all that information
means.

The "ps ax | grep <foo>" idiom is so common that it's sometimes easy
to forget that ps does take non-option arguments.