On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, G. Crimp wrote:

> Hi,
>
>       I've a friend who just installed Debian 2.0 on a 486.  He reads
> through a talking terminal.  Under a Slackware (don't know what version) he
> used to type "agetty 9600 ttyS0 vt100".  He says this doesn't work with the
> new installation.  I don't know anything about getty.  A look at the man
> page suggests that this is an appropriate command.
>
>       Does anyone know what he needs to do to get this to work ?
>
>       Thanks,
>
>       Gerald

I think that should be 'getty ttyS1 9600 vt100'

To make it start on boot up, try adding the line to /etc/inittab in the
appropriate format. I have my (non-talking) terminal set up as follows in
/etc/inittab:

T1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty -L -w ttyS1 19200 vt220

Have a look at 'man getty' and 'man inittab' for more info.

Your friend could use:

T1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS1 9600 vt100

HTH,

                       Michael Beattie ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

    Jump through hoops? I don't think so. Crawl through Windows? *HELL NO*!!