Quoting Michelle Maria Coelho ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> Hi...
> Yesterday, I downloeaded the Debian Linux installation kit on floppies
> and installed it on my 486 at home. It was a breeze. However, there was
> one problem. At the time of installation, I hadn't plugged in the mouse
> (a Microsoft PS/2 serial mouse). I'm wondering if the plugging in of the
> mouse was crucial to the stage "Configure device drivers". Will I have
> problems while installing XFree86????

I don't think so. I think all that configuring the modules does is
to (a) load the module then and there, and (b) write its name into
/etc/modules. So if you want the module (serial or psaux depending
on the mouse's type) to load during booting, put serial or psaux
on a line of its own in that file.

The only tricky thing with mice and X in hamm is that it forgets to
create the gpmdata pipe if you want gpm to repeat (-R) mouse
movements into X.
cd /dev
mknod gpmdata p
as root will take care of that.
Then modify the line in gpm.conf to
append="-R -l \"a-zA-Z0-9_.:~/\300-\326\330-\366\370-\377\""
and put
Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "MouseSystems"
    Device      "/dev/gpmdata"
in /etc/X11/XF86Config and you're done.

Cheers,

--
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Tel: +44 1908 653 739  Fax: +44 1908 655 151