I've got a hamm system: my /etc/apt/sources.list is pointing to
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

I've recently run apt-get upgrade, and now when I go to dselect and do the
Install option, I get the error:

Sorry, but the following packages are broken - this means they have unmet
dependencies:
  libc6-dev: Depends:libc6

When I try to install libc6-dev, I get the same error message. When I try
to install libc6, I get the message: "Sorry, libc6 is already the newest
version".

I had to do some manual downloading of libs, etc in order to get apt
installed on this hamm system; I suspect that's what's causing the problem.
But how do I fix it?

Thanks!