On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 10:37:29AM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In a message dated 3/10/99 6:44:38 AM Central Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> writes:
>
> > Are there Gnome 1.0 debs yet?
> >  I haven't tried Gnome yet. 1.0 seems like the place to start.
>
> Ya know, I don't want to offend any of the developers or anything, but I'm
> curious about something... Why is it that Debian is always the last to get
> packages for any given product?  When KDE came out, rpms were right around the
> corner.  This seems to be an ongoing trend...  Is it just because the Debian
> group is so quality concious?

It's a non-technical difference in the way packages are built in these
sorts of cases. The Red Hat packages are built by anyone who cares to;
they can go on Red Hat's unofficial rpms site no problem. Debian packages
on the other hand are usually only built by Debian developers; that is,
people who aren't developers don't tend to build debs and upload them;
unofficial debs are rare.

In the case of KDE, the RPMs were probably built by the KDE team themselves.
The debs might be left to the Debian developer, who may or may not be
part of the KDE team. Also, it takes a day or so for packages to appear
in the archive once they are uploaded.

I think the end result is a higher quality product. The lack of
unofficial debs is not a shortcoming at all, imho.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3TYD              [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]