On 24 Mar 1999, Gary L. Hennigan wrote:

> Jonathan Guthrie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> | Okay, so emacs is a religion, I can deal with that.  I use emacs the
> | editor quite a bit.  However, I can't get xemacs-20 to suspend with
> | CNTRL-Z on my computer so I either have to use multiple virtual terminals
> | or do everything under X.

> | Do you know what the problem is?

> When you're running it in a terminal window you can't get it to
> suspend when you hit Ctrl+Z?

Yes.

> Is your suspend character set to Ctrl+Z?

Yes.  (I also verified this by doing the "stty -a", just to be sure.)

The symptoms (gosh, wouldn't have been nice for me to include the symptoms
the first time) are different from those I would expect for a different,
or missing, suspend character.

xemacs stops taking input, but won't start the shell.  I can hit ^C a
couple of times and get xemacs' attention, but the only thing it'll let me
do is abort the edit and dump core (and it won't do the core dump because
the default core size, as set by ulimit, is 0, and I never remember to
change that before I run emacs.)

This is under Debian 2.1 as most recently released, kernel V2.2.3, and
xemacs20-nomule-20.4-13.  (FWIW, it also does this if I use the mule
executable, not that it should make any difference.)

Is it possible that the .emacs or the .xemacs-options file has something
in it that could cause this behavior?
--
Jonathan Guthrie ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Brokersys  +281-895-8101   http://www.brokersys.com/