In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you write:
>> > I'm not sure about this, but perhaps you should remove, rather than
>> > purge, the xbase package.  This is what I did, and I did not get this
>> > problem.  The difference between purging and removing is that removing
>> > leaves configuration files alone, so perhaps purging xbase removes
>> > config files necessary to run startx??
>>=20
>>  This appears to be the case. I saved my old XF86Config, reran XF86Setup,
>> and then replaced the auto-generated XF86Config with my old one. Now
>> startx works just fine.
>
>GACK!  I hadn't run across this problem in the versions of XFree86 that
>were released in the course of stabilizing it after the Great X
>Reorganization.
>
>Yes, this is a serious problem.  I am not sure what I can do to fix it; my
>pre- and post- removal scripts in the current xbase package don't delete
>those conffiles, dpkg does.  It's not easy to change dpkg's mind about such
>things.

This sound like the exact same problem (at least it sounds the
same) I had when I upgraded from dhcpd to dhcpd-beta. dhcpd wasn't
purged, so I purged it, and it broke dhcpd-beta because purging dhcpd
deleted /var/dhcpd and /var/dhcpd.leases which are used by both
packages. AFAIK, the bug report is still open.

dhcpd is a slightly different situation though - I think the postrm
script deletes it.

However, it is possible that the solution may be similar for both cases,
hence my reason for mentioning it here.

>Is it the case that somehow the old /var/lib/dpkg/info/xbase.conffiles file
>is being left around?  On my system, I even still have xbase installed and
>it is not there.  Is there perhaps some scenario in which the old conffiles
>file is not removed?  If so, this is probably a bug in dpkg, and not in X.

With my very limited knowledge of dpkg. Suggestions:

- what package "owned" the config file in question? On my slink system
  /etc/X11/XF86Config isn't owned by any package. That might be
  significant.

- I assume that XF86Config once was be "owned" by xbase??

- In this case, it might be worth installing an older version of
  XF86Config, and then reinstalling the new version, checking that
  everything looks Ok at every step. I don't know if this is possible
  on slink.

- If the above step is not possible, it should be possible to create
  a dummy package that contains a config file, install it, and then
  install a newer version that doesn't contain the config file, and
  see what happens. I think this should reproduce the same situation
  as with xbase.