This is to keep this thread active, and to pose another question:

I downloaded a program called gRunlevels, but it looked for my rcN.d and
init.d stuff in /etc/rc.d.

I created a /etc/rc.d directory and symlinked the above files to it. Now
gRunlevels works and all my services are displayed.

Is this okay? I am not going to mess something up here am I?

BTW, can someone tell me how to find out what runlevel Debian ends up at
normally, and should I only remove services at that runlevel?

TIA
--
                                         __   _
Mark Wagnon             Debian GNU/ -o) / /  (_)__  __ ____  __