Quoting Urban Gabor ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> I've installed a program (gpm to more precise) and I want to
> disable/enable it for the next booting. Remove/install every time I want
> to experiment would be weird. Any ideas are wellcome

Changing the executable flag is the best way and it disturbs
things the least.

But I hope you're not rebooting *just* to get gpm stopped or started.
If you are, then note that as root, you can type
/etc/init.d/gpm stop
/etc/init.d/gpm start
to stop and start it at any time. That way, you can leave the default
behaviour, which is to start on booting, alone.

Cheers,

--
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Tel: +44 1908 653 739  Fax: +44 1908 655 151