On Sun, 16 May 1999, Eber de Castro Diniz wrote:

> Hi guys...
>
> Hope you could help me... I've downloaded some RPM files and I'd like to
> install it...
> I've heard that's pretty possible to convert .rpm files to .deb... but
> how?
>
> Is it really possible? If so, it will cause any damage to my system?

Hi Eber

Indeed this is possible, just install the 'alien' package. Then
man alien will answer your questions.

Here are a few line from that man page:

alien(1L)                                               alien(1L)

NAME
       alien - Convert or install an alien binary package

SYNOPSIS
       alien [--to-deb] [--patch=file] [options] file [...]
       alien --to-rpm [options] file [...]
       alien --to-tgz [options] file [...]
       alien --to-slp [options] file [...]

DESCRIPTION
       To  build  Debian  packages, alien is simply called with a
       parameter giving the name of the alien package to be  con-
       verted.  [snip]

Caveat: I have been warned that .rpm packages are not reviewed as
carefully as .deb packages, so you run a risk to your system by
installing them. Apparently the risk, though real, is not great.

Would someone else please respond to this issue?

The Best of Luck to you!

--David

David Teague, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                 (Hope this qualifies.)