This one time, at band camp, Bill Moseley said:
> Can someone that likes their font setup, and has msttcorefonts and XFree86
> 4.2.1 post their "Files" section of XF86Config-4?
>
> I finally took some time tonight to look at my fonts.  One of my problems
> was that many applications were using the "comic sans ms" font.
>
> Turned out the order of my FontPath entries was the problem, although not
> the complete solution.
>
> I trimmed down my fonts to just this:
>
> $ xset q | grep font
>   /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled
>
> This next setting causes many applications to use the comic sans ms font:
>
> $ xset +fp /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType
>
> Where this next one causes less of a problem, but Opera still uses comic
> sans ms for menus, labels and buttons.  Argh.
>
> $ xset +fp /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType
>
> Fonts have been driving me crazy -- I've posted a number of times about my
> troubles.  Even with only one font path of
>
>    /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled
>
> Opera and Mozilla (1.2.1) show web pages very differently.  Some pages,
> like Google results are almost hard to read.  And adding the TrueType font
> path above doesn't seem to make any difference on web pages.  With only
> one font path listed I'm not sure where those browsers are getting their
> fonts.
>
> With that one font path this is what I see:
>
>   http://hank.org/images/fonts5.png
>
> Are those using AA fonts?  I do not have a XftConfig file installed, so
> I'm unclear why they look like that.
>
> Is it even possible to get fonts under X to look as good as they do in
> Windows?

Better, really.

Section "Files"
#       FontPath        "unix/:7110"                    # local font server
        # if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
        FontPath        "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
        FontPath        "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/CID"
EndSection

steve:~$ dpkg -l xserver-xfree86
ii  xserver-xfree8 4.2.1-4        the XFree86 X server
steve:~$ dpkg -l msttcorefonts
ii  msttcorefonts  1.1.2          Installer for Microsoft TrueType core fonts

This is sid, mind you, and I'm usng Gnome2, which does a lot of it's own
font-rendering with libxft2, I believe, so I'm not sure this will
translate for Icewm.  The browser thing is, I think, a config issue -
most browsers allow you to choose your default fonts for display, and it
looks like you just never have - try setting it to something you like,
and go from there.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | We'll try to cooperate fully with the   |
|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]             | IRS, because, as citizens, we feel a    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | strong patriotic duty not to go to      |
|                                | jail.   -- Dave Barry                   |