Hi, I thought I'd just throw in that I have used both Red Hat (5.0 ->) and
SuSE (5.1 ->) and am mightily impressed by The Debian Experience.  The
install process is rather rough, I'll admit.  I just pick the installation
type from the "custom" menu on the Slink disk and grit my teeth as dselect
does its work.  Am I the only one that finds dselect to be a horrible
package manager to work with?

Once it's installed, though, Debian works beautifully.  I run bleeding-edge
Potato (weekly updates) and have run into only minor problems (suid su,
&[EMAIL PROTECTED] /etc/ppp permissions) so far.  Apt is a wonderful tool, and
Gnome-Apt
completes the package.  One question: How do I point Apt at something else
besides an http connection?  I'd like to use it on CD-ROM images, if
possible.  Dpkg would take forever to use and, as I've said before, I hate
dselect.

As for sound, I must say that I've had a few problems with it.  Of course, I
had similar problems in previous versions of RH...  Go fig.  Anyway, once
you've compiled in the kernel modules that you'll need, try this:  Grab an
rpm of RH's sndconfig, alien it over to a .deb, and install it.  I used it,
and it worked the first time (SB AWE-64 PNP).  Is there a comparable Debian
tool that I've been missing?

Anyway, I just thought I'd share :-)  Keep up the good work!  I am currently
working on getting my local RH-dominated LUG to convert :-)

-Chris