try /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86Setup

it runs X in some poor VGA mode, and the interface is LOADS more intuitive than
xf86config.

for the monitor refresh hsync etc, you are given a choice of common types of
monitors, if you do not know the exact settings. [which were in the maual of
both
monitors I have owned]

frankie

Andrew J Fortune wrote:

> I have just installed Slink on my machine, and have ... almost.... got it
> working the way that i want it to. The only thing that won't work is that it
> is coming up in 256 colors, and I want it to use the 16-bit color palette or
> greater (with 1024 x 768).
>
> I have been running xf86config, and the problem for me is that I have been
> taking uneducated pot-shots in the dark, and I am wondering if there is a
> better way of approaching this problem. I have tried all sorts of (seemingly
> appropriate) combinations of monitor, video card and mode from within
> xf86config, but all to no avail. The areas that I am foggy on are horizontal
> and vertical sync, refresh rates and the "modes" (e.g. the menu which allows
> you to nominate different modes for 8-bit, 16-bit, etc etc), and these were
> the areas that I was guessing on.
>
> I know that I can achieve this, because this is how my Windows 95 desktop is
> set up. Also, previously I had Debian v2.0 and RedHat v5.2 installed and I
> had no problems there....the only thing was that I don't remember what I
> did....
>
> It could be that the solution lies outside of xfconfig altogether ?? In any
> event, I would be grateful of any help here (I am a newbie in the world of
> Linux....).
>
> (If it helps, I have a 15" monitor, Super VGA 1024x768, with a S3 Trio 32/64
> PCI video card. )
>
> --

Confession is good for the soul only in the sense that a tweed coat is good
for dandruff.

        --Peter de Vries

http://www.skunkpussy.freeserve.co.uk - Drum'n'Bass music, samples and links.

ICQ://25576761