On Thu, Jul 15, 1999 at 05:08:47PM -0500, Michael Merten wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 1999 at 05:15:29PM +0100, Phillip Deackes wrote:
> > Bob Nielsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > =>
> > => Using 'apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade' appears to be safer than
> > => upgrading with dselect. The offending packages are held back and
> > => netscape, etc., are not marked for removal.
> >
> > Ahh! I was wondering why I saw around four packages held back when I last
> > upgraded. Thanks for that, too!!! Apt-get is truly remarkable.
>
> I'm too paranoid to use apt-get upgrade...  at least with dselect you
> actually get so see *which* packages are getting upgraded/removed/etc.
> I can't see how blindly using apt-get upgrade can be safer.  Anyone
> that trashes their system with dselect really should learn to pay a
> bit more attention to what they do.  :)
>
> BTW, I took a look at apt-find...  I notice on the help screen that
> there appears to be no way to explicitly 'hold' a package... was that
> intentional, or an oversight?

apt-get upgrade won't list which packages it wants to upgrade, but will
list new packages, packages it will remove and packages held back,
giving you a chance to exit before it actually does anything. With
dselect, I kept going around in circles on the dependency/conflict
resolution screens.

If you are really paranoid, you can always run 'apt-get -s upgrade' to
simulate what it would do.

Bob

--
Bob Nielsen                 Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tucson, AZ                  AMPRnet:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]