I don't know if this was mentioned or not. I have about 200 unred messages
for yesterday. :<

You mentioned that GPM was working correctly? Try starting GPM in
'repeater' mode (add -R to your switches), then tell X to use /dev/gpmdata
for the mouse device and 'MouseSystems' for the mouse type. I'm doing this
on my devel machine (Serial FirstMouse+ and USB mouse) and it works well
for me. If that doesn't work, then maybe your X server has a problem?

-- Ferret no baka