On Thu, Nov 04, 1999 at 01:09:32PM -0500, William T Wilson wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Bob Nielsen wrote:
>
> > > Yes, you can point A records from two domains to the same IP address.
> >
> > You can also use a CNAME record.  I'm not sure when one approach would
> > be preferred over the other.
>
> The answer is simple: Use A records for everything and forget about
> CNAMEs. :}
>
> I use a CNAME when a machine is supposed to have multiple names for the
> same purpose.  For example, if your machine is "www.foo.com" and you also
> want it to be "www.department.foo.com" then use a CNAME.  But if your
> machine is "mail.foo.com" and you also want it to be "mail.bar.com" then
> use an A record, because foo.com and bar.com are not the same entity.

     Does anyone here know how to do this with the most recent sendmail
in potato (8.9.3) to receive mail for both domain.com and machine.domain.com,
etc.?  It does _not_ work to just run sendmailconfig and choose to receive
mail for domains _&_ FQDNs--at least not on this box.  It will only receive
mail to one or the other.

Art