I wish to both interactively type commands to my modem and send files to it via
xmodem or zmodem.
(I do not want to dial some phone number as I communicate with my modem)
I didn't see how to really do this with "cu";
seyon and minicom want to dial phone numbers but not just the modem.

I want to do the following for my USRobotics V.everything courier modem,
   AT~X!      #starts an xmodem or zmodem session.
   send a file to the modem, replacing its firmware.
WHAT SOFTWARE MIGHT I USE FOR THIS DIRECT COMMUNICATION WITH THE MODEM?

Why do I want to do this?
Getting this modem last week, I ran pppconfig, then I altered the resulting
scripts.  I added the second line below to /etc/chatscripts/provider
   "" ATZ
   ""ATI11
Notice that I forgot a space after "" and should have had
   "" ATI11
After making this mistake and starting ppp, my modem ran rapidly through
its lights and sent clicks galore.
Then "cu -l ttyS0" responded
    MODEM FIRMWARE IS CORRUPTED. FIRMWARE DOWNLOAD IS NECESSARY
So, perhaps a missing space in ppp configuration destroyed my modem.
USRobotics said they offer no support for Linux, though their ftp site
hinted that an appropriate serial communication package would work on
any operating system.  I haven't been able to do this on Linux,
and USRobotics Microsoft approach fails on NT since their approach
needs pure DOS.

Thank you for any suggestions,

--
Jim Burt, NJ9L,         Fairfax, Virginia, USA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.mnsinc.com/jameson