On 20 Nov 1999, Michael Perry wrote:
> HI all-
>
> I recently decided to show someone that linux had a number of virtual
> console and had known for quite awhile that X ran on the 7th.  Imagine my
> surprise when my Debian slink system shows up on VC 2 and there is nothing
> but a blinking cursor on the others besides 1.  I know that somewhere there
> is a file which sets the VCs.  But now I only get two with X showing up on
> the second.
>
> Clues or ideas greatly appreciated.
> --
> Michael Perry
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ------------------

You add them in /etc/inittab, E.g in mine I have

#
# Format:
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
#6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6
#7:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty7
#8:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty8
#9:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty9
#10:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty10
#11:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty11

This gives me 5 terminals. X comes out in the terminal "above" the one
you use for startx; I do this in the last terminal (5) and X is in 6. I
believe it is possible to have 64 terminals in all.

This is all explained in a HOWTO (I think it's keyboard).

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian 2.1 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: http://www.pentelikon.freeserve.co.uk/bookreviews/

"It's no go the Yogi Man, it's no go Blavatsky"  - Louis MacNeice