Christian Dysthe said:
> I then have to log in as root and un-install WDM to be able to return to
> how I used to log in: console and startx which works fine.

Actually, you don't have to uninstall wdm (or xdm or other similar login
managers) to login on a text console.  To stop it from running, you can
disable it from starting at boot by going into /etc/rc2.d and doing a

mv S98wdm s98wdm

(I think it's 98, but it might be 99...)

To temporarily (until next reboot) shut wdm down, use

/etc/init.d/wdm stop

You can also start it back up again by changing the 'stop' to 'start', and
'restart' will shut it down and immediately start it back up again.

And, finally, to do a text mode login while wdm (or X in general) is still
running, you can use Ctrl-Alt-# to switch to other virtual terminals as usual
(just remember that, to step out of an X session, it's Ctrl-Alt-# instead of
Alt-#).  To get back to your X session, use Alt-7.

--
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K
w---$ O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+