What packages are you referring to that are outdated? XF86 is, so compile
your own(i have been for ages), kde,gnome ..so compile yer own..again ive
done this too..makes my slink system quite happy.

ive already decided im NOT going to upgrade any debian systems from slink
to potato that are not used as desktop machines, which is about 90% of my
linux boxes.

slink has prooven stable for me, and im stickin to it.  i talked to one
guy who was just now upgrading from sunos4 (~1993 ?) to solaris 6 *just
because of y2k stuff*.

nate