brian belabored,

> People with Asian names
> usually just give up and adopt a new name because the pronunciation of
> their given name was impossible for non-Asians to reproduce.

:)  Living in graduate student housing, I was stunned to find (after
more than a year) that my friend whose name I couldn't pronounce (and
hence remember) who'd moved in to the next building over and the
"Steve" my wife talked about were the same person . . .

>(Just as
> the stereotypical Asian confuses 'l' and 'r', non-Asians can't hear the
> difference in Asian syllables... they no doubt laugh at us for the same
> sort of thing.)

There was a hysterical commercial when Isuzu first started selling in
the U.S.  The narrator approached Americans and asked them to say
"Isuzu," at which they invariably failed.  At the end, he faced the
camera and told us, "Don't feel bad.  We can't say Chevroway, either."

> I actually vary on 'daemon'.  I use the 'day-mon' pronunciation most of
> the time, and 'demon' when I want to annoy people.  (Works wonders!)

gee, [*whistles innocently*], now *I* would never do something just to
annoy anyone [*glances around for the lightning*]

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
                                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]