I'm trying to do a "startx" on my desktop.  It's exiting with:

(**) Generic Mouse: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
        No such device.
(EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(**) Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
(**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "PS/2"
(**) Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
(**) Configured Mouse: always reports core events
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
(==) Configured Mouse: Buttons: 3
(**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
(**) Configured Mouse: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Configured Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(WW) No core pointer registered
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
No core pointer

Fatal server error:
failed to initialize core devices

gpm is working on /dev/psaux just fine.  I've tried this with and without
gpm enabled.  I've also put "-R" in the options for gpm.  I even created
/dev/input/mice per the devices.txt, no go.

This is an unstable system moved changed back to a stable system.
dpkg reports xserver-xfree86 version 4.0.2-7.

Robert

:wq!
                                \_       that important!
DISCLAIMER: