On Thursday 06 September 2001 04:16 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> 1. is there a resource out there somewhere that can clearly explain "ld"
> and "ld" related problems and how to fix them? I sometimes build from
> source and most of the time I get stuck with "ld" related problems and I
> have to bother a lot of people on how to resolve it instead of resolving it
> myself...

The classics "man ld" and "info ld" are probably your best bets. I don't know
about how to fix problems with it though.

> 2. to the next question, this is the latest thing I am trying to compile
> from src (gaim) and of course, the problem is again something to do with
> ld...
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lperl
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[3]: *** [gaim] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory /home/jdls/gaim-0.11.0pre15/src'
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

You probably need the package libperl-dev. This isn't an ld problem at all,
but a problem with you lacking the correct libs.

Quick question though. Why are you compiling gaim from source? There's a
perfectly good packaged version available for it that is designed to prevent
exactly this, and other problems. If it's a question of it being outdated,
get unstable. If you can't find the package, it's in the aptly named "gaim".

- David Nusinow
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]