On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 17:01, Joseph A Nagy Jr wrote:

> > curses-style interface (like in your computer's setup (BIOS) when you
> > push 'del' when booting). The only functional difference between this
> > and a GUI is that you use your keyboard-only as apposed to being able to
> > use your mouse. Don't let this intimidate you though; if your going to
> > be using debian, you'll have to get used to using your keyboard!!
>
> dselect is NOT as easy as hitting enter a few times. I have specific
> packages (db's, X server, window managers, multimedia apps (audio and
> visual), and word processors) that I'd like to install w/o all the
> associated fluff (stuff I don't use and will probably never use such as
> most of Gnome (I use GAIM, XMMS, Mozilla, and some other prog's that
> require Gnome)).

If you don't like dselect then don't use it (I never do).  I always
install Debian as a minimal system and build from there.  When the
installer asks to go into dselect just say no.

Once the system is up then you can use apt to find and install anything
you want.

apt-cache search xfree86
apt-get install <packages that you find>

It's getting harder to find X apps these days that don't depend on
GNOME or KDE libraries but you certainly don't have to install the
full blown desktop environments, feel free to run fvwm or any window
manager.

There is a graphical installer for those who prefer mouse clicks to
pressing enter ;-)  Try http://hackers.progeny.com/pgi/ ... it might
work I haven't tried it

--
Fraser Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                http://wehave.net/
Brampton, Ontario, Canada                            Debian GNU/Linux