On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Ingo Hohmann wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> I'm still trying to find out what may make name resolution
> and exim startup to slow down to a crawl ...

        I'd put even money on this being a reverse DNS problem.

        You see, exim and telnetd will both use tcpwrappers to do
reverse DNS checking.  To see if this is happening, look in
/etc/hosts.deny on 10.1.1.1 for a line that says "ALL: PARANOID".  (This
is a Debian default, and has been flamefested a while ago.  Check the
archives if you want pros vs. cons.)

        To see if this is why things are slow, try commenting that line
out on 10.1.1.1.  If this fixes things, you can two choices.

1)      Leave that line commented out.  Your daemons won't do DNS sanity
        checks, but it is *simpler* that the alternative.

2)      Setup your DNS server to resolve RDNS.  You should have an entry
        for in-arpa.1.1.1.10 that resolves to the hostname for that
        computer.  This is the Right Way to do it.

        Hope this helps!

Yours,
        Simon