On Tuesday 11 March 2003 14:57, Jonathan Matthews wrote:

> [snip rtl8139 problems]
>
> No idea if this is feasible here, but my favourite way of solving 8139
> problems is to put a decent nic in the box (Intel EtherExpress, Tulip,
> LinkSys - maybe, etc.) and ignore the PoS RTL.
>
> Seriously - drop Ł20-30 on a well thought-out nic and you'll not go far
> wrong :-)

Agree with you completely but it's not a preferred option in this case.  The
reason for the onboard NIC is that this is a 2U server and while I could put
in a PCI NIC I'd rather keep the inside as clean as possible to leave
expansion capabilities more open.  If the card proves unreliable I will
definitely go with a PCI NIC (3c905).

When the server in question is a web/mail server I don't think NIC performance
is a huge concern (if it works, it's good enough).  I have had a lot of
problems with onboard eepro cards (1-2 years ago)  but I've used dozens of
onboard and PCI realteks, few of them had issues.

Cost is absolutely not a concern, computer parts are so inexpensive right now
that even a computer built from really quality components is cheap.  Right
now my server is out of commission as during testing it proved unstable, the
DIMM was garbage.  I'm awaiting delivery of registered ECC memory before
resuming my tests, I tried to to be cheap on the memory and I realize now
that was a mistake.

--
Fraser Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                     http://wehave.net/
Brampton, Ontario, Canada                                    Debian GNU/Linux