On 13 Jan 2002, Elizabeth Barham wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently purchased a pentium machine (HP Vectra VL Series 4 5/100,
> 32M). I installed debian upon it but noticed that the machine would
> freeze up on occasion even in initial installation (badblocks read
> test [rw worked fine]). Eventually I installed the whole system, but
> when re-compiling the kernel, again, system-freeze.

<snip>

> Any ideas? and thank you for any help.

        It definitely sounds like bad hardware.  I'd unplug all your
expansion cards, and try it like that.  (Sometimes, a peripheral will
start acting up and mess up the bus.)  If that doesn't work, you might
have to try another video card.

        If none of those work, it's probably your motherboard.  Try
upgrading the BIOS (if it's flashable,) or replacing that.

        Good luck!

Simon