Nathan E Norman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 10:00:30PM -0700, Rick Macdonald wrote:
>
> [ moved prefix reply to end (hi Karsten)]
>
> > On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Seneca Cunningham wrote:
> > > I need the pcmcia module to get access to my ethernet card and cdrom,
but I
> > > just can't get pcmcia-source to compile. I've tried to do it with
woody and
> > > sid, but I just can't seem to get my pcmcia module to compile. I get
> > > warnings about how malloc.h is deprecated throughout the entire
process, but
> > > at the end...
>
> [ snip ]
>
> > > This particular version is of my most recent attempt, with the
pcmcia-source
> > > from sid, and downloaded today. The previous versions were all
similar, with
> > > an identical result.
> > >
> > > Please _don't_ suggest that I change kernels to 2.4.17, I had enough
trouble
> > > floppying 2.4.16 over, earlier this month, and I need the pcmcia
module to
> > > even attempt to connect to the network (pcmcia ethernet card). I can't
burn
> > > a cd and use it, my cdrom is an external one, connected through
pcmcia. I
> > > can't do SLIP or PLIP because of a combination of a hardware and
software
> > > problem (windoze combined with semi-functional (works when it isn't
needed,
> > > stops when its needed) hardware).
> > >
> > > In spite of having to floppy everything (packages > 1.6M are made into
> > > spanning archives, then reassembled), I generally download new
versions of
> > > the more important packages if I find them in testing or sid. Probably
the
> > > only exception to that would be the kernel-source... I don't have
enough
> > > good floppies to do that.
> >
> > Well, I'm going to say 2.4.17 anyway...
>
> If you have the 2.4.16 source, there's no need to grab the whole
> 2.4.17 source!  Grab the patch from kernel.org.

I have, but I haven't been able to get it to work. patch claims that it
can't patch the 2.4.16 source, applypatch does nothing except output
messages (only when set to verbose) about how the patch kit and source
directory are "apparently okay", and patch-kernel just outputs the current
version of the kernel source.

> 2.4.17 is mostly solid.  I like it.
>
> My number one question is, why are you trying to compile pcmcia-source
> at all?  2.4 kernels have _built in_ pcmcia module support; I ditched
> pcmcia-source and started using the kernel pcmcia modules back at
> 2.4.7; I haven't looked back.  My laptop is a Tecra 8100, with a 3Com
> ethernet card (can't remember the model cos I almost never use it); I
> also have a Lucent ORiNOCO 802.11b card.  Works great.

At this point, without compiling pcmcia-source, my pcmcia hardware is dead.
As of now I haven't been able to compile a kernel that works with pcmcia. I
set pcmcia support to be compiled into my kernels. Last time pcmcia worked
was with the 2.2.19 kernel in potato, and now only when I boot 2.2.19 from
floppy.

Thanks for any help

Seneca
[EMAIL PROTECTED]