Andreas von Heydwolff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Just today I installed potato from floppies on a 486 SL 25 laptop
built
> in 1993. I have never used a pcmcia card in my life, don't own one and
> don't know anyone who has one. It looks as if the 486 can hold two
cards
> in one slot (or would it be called a double slot). So here's the
question:

Sounds like you have the option of using it as either one or two PCMCIA
slots (the number of cards depends upon physical size). There are some
type numbers for these... I think that it is type II that that "double
slot" of yours can hold two of (what my laptop from 1995 can hold two
of).

> Could I use the a card that I would buy today or have standards
changed
> and I would have to look for a vintage pcmcia network and/or modem
card?

I think that you would be limited to the 16-bit PCMCIA cards, and not be
able to use the 32-bit CardBus cards.

Seneca
[EMAIL PROTECTED]