Thanks so far to all who replied to my earlier post asking about uninstalling
a few services/programs  to try to secure this box.

I have downloaded and printed out the Securing Debian Manual and am beginning
to wade my way through. My biggest problem here is the assumptions the
authors make about the level of knowledge that the reader will have about
Debian/Linux ...there are a lot of things they make reference to that I have
no idea about...:-) But I will in time.

I have also installed from cd the Hardening Docs and will begin reading those
too.
A couple of the replies mentioned that I could disable services in the
inetd.conf file. Below is a copy of mine, how do I know what I need and dont
need?

Thanks for any help.
# /etc/inetd.conf:  see inetd(8) for further informations.
#
# Internet server configuration database
#
#
# Lines starting with "#:LABEL:" or "#<off>#" should not
# be changed unless you know what you are doing!
#
# If you want to disable an entry so it isn't touched during
# package updates just comment it out with a single '#' character.
#
# Packages should modify this file by using update-inetd(8)
#
#
#:INTERNAL: Internal services
#echo           stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
#echo           dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
#chargen        stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
#chargen        dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
discard         stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
discard         dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
daytime         stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
#daytime        dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
time            stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
#time           dgram   udp     wait    root    internal

#:STANDARD: These are standard services.

#:BSD: Shell, login, exec and talk are BSD protocols.

#:MAIL: Mail, news and uucp services.
smtp            stream  tcp     nowait  mail    /usr/sbin/exim exim -bs

#:INFO: Info services
ident           stream  tcp     wait    identd  /usr/sbin/identd        identd

#:BOOT: Tftp service is provided primarily for booting.  Most sites
# run this only on machines acting as "boot servers."

#:RPC: RPC based services

#:HAM-RADIO: amateur-radio services

#:OTHER: Other services
vboxd   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/vboxd