On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 14:00, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 18:17, FreeportWeb Debian Support Account wrote:
> > Which leads to my question.  Once you have that up and
> > running, whats the best way to install KDE?
>
> As a former KDE 2.2.1 user (in my Mandrake days) who thinks
> that KDE has it's strong points, I must ask: why use KDE?
>
> It's really fat.
>
> I got tired of switching between konq and mozilla. konq failed
> on too many sites, so I had to use moz, and since it doesn't
> use kde libs, I had moz (also fat) + kde both loaded at the
> same time.  (Yes, konq is a great file manager, but I don't
> use/need a file manager...)
>
> Also, koffice just isn't there yet, so when using OpenOffice,
> you have the same issues as when using mozilla
>
> The only thing I really miss is kmail, but I scrape by with
> evolution...
>
> In fact, since I use so little of the "desktop" metaphor, I'm
> thinking of going to something simpler like blackbox or xfce.

I use KDE because it is "pretty".
I like pretty now that I have the RAM and CPU to be able to use it
without any frustration. The font anti-aliasing and rendering of the
desktop makes working and learning so much more pleasant.

For a quick WM, I use fluxbox...a pretty blackbox-like WM.
--
Michael Biddulph
Brisbane Australia