Ok,
  I'm still locking up in X running Gnome+Sawfixh, Gnome+icewm, KDE,
with and without about every app I have and it's completely random.
Once a week or 3 times a day (yesterday).  I have physically replaced
all hardware, only copying my config and such.

  I'm at the point of playing with modules in the xserver-xfree86
configuration.  The problem is I don't know what is needed and what is.
I disabled all but ddr and one other and it got 1/2 way through starting
gnome before just hanging up trying to start sawfish.

  Suggestions on a "minimal" requirement of modules to run
gnome+sawfish?  Suggestions on a good place for an easy "this does this"
type of module explanation?

:wq!
                                \_       that important!
DISCLAIMER: