On Thursday, June 13, 2002, at 12:41 , Paul Scott,,, wrote:

I was thinking that creating a new file system (the problem) would have written new backup superblocks. Am I wrong? I would be glad to be wrong! What if an fsck had been done just after the problem happened?

Well, if only the first 500 sectors or so are gone, you still have backup superblocks left. For example:

bohr:/home/anthony# mke2fs -F -n /dev/sda1
mke2fs 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
... snip ...
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
        32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736

If you don't have any superblocks left, read about the -S option, which can give you new ones.

Any fsck on a file system where the primary superblock was destroyed would (I think) error out.

Also, there is e2recover which might help, too.