On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 05:06:52AM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> I hear some configuration files shouldn't be edited by hand, but
> should instead have dkpg-reconfigure run on them.

The general case is like this. If you edit a config file, then you
will be asked if you want to keep your customized version when you
upgrade the package that owns the file in question.

>  Will such files
> have warning messages every time in them saying how one should edit
> them, and also if the next time I update the package if they will get
> overwritten or not?

Some packages ask at configuration time (debconf or whatever) if you
want the configuration files of those packages to be managed by the
package system (X and dexconf is an example of this). If you chose to
let these packages be "automatically" (by your answers to debconf)
configured, then they will contain such warnings.

> E.g. some of the many cron.daily etc. files.

On my system the only thing in /etc/cron.daily/ that resembled what
you mean was in /etc/cron.daily/standard

#               This is a configration file.  You are invited to edit
#               it and maintain it on your own.  You'll have to do
#               that if you don't like the default policy
#               wrt. rotating logfiles (i.e. with large logfiles
#               weekly and daily rotation may interfere).  If you edit
#               this file and don't let dpkg upgrade it, you have full
#               control over it.

But in this case the "don't let dpkg upgrade it" in the last sentence
only means that you chose (the default) to keep your own version when
asked when the package is upgraded.

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux emac140 2.4.17 #1 sön feb 10 20:21:22 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Hans Ekbrand