Matthew Yee-King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I'm running gdm, windowmaker, woody and xfree 4.2. i need to run
> software on a remote mahcine that outputs to my local X server. On
> the remote machine, i export DISPLAY="mylocalIP:0" then on my local
> machine, i xhost <memote machineIP> .

Eew eew eew.  Don't do that.  Debian disables unencrypted X network
sessions.  But since you're using ssh to log in from one machine to
the other (right?) this is easy: just add -X to the ssh command-line
arguments to get X forwarding over ssh, and the DISPLAY environment
variable will be automagically set to the right thing on the remote
machine.

--
David Maze         [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://people.debian.org/~dmaze/
        -- Abra Mitchell