on Mon, Jun 17, 2002, Derrick 'dman' Hudson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 01:59:56PM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> > I have a question about "floppies".  First, quaint, aren't they?  OK,
> > In /etc/fstab:
> >     /dev/fd0 /floppy auto defaults,user,noauto 0 0
>
> That's normal.

Note that the search order for filesystems is given by /etc/filesystems,
if it exists, or /proc/filesystems.  The difference being that you can
dictate the order of filesystems in /etc/filesystems, if you, say,
prefer seeing vfat attempted before msdos.

> > But doesn't that mean that if I insert a "unformatted" or
> > "scrambled" floppy, it will fail auto detection as to what file
> > system type it is and one will not be able to proceed?
>
> Correct.  It is impossible to mount something that isn't a filesystem.

Hmm...

...you might be able to access data on it, however.  My test would be
writing a tar archive raw to disk, then browsing it with mc:

    $ tar cvf /dev/fd0 foo/
    $ mc

...navigate to /dev/fd0

I'll have to try that....