On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 07:15:23AM -0400, Bill from Tampa wrote:
> I can't get X to run on my new woody installation (installed from the net
> using the isolinux method). The base installation went well. I've tried
> several times to generate an XF86Config-4 file --but none of them work (I
> used XFree86 -configure, and also the ?debconf method). When I run startx,
> it ends with an error message: "cannot open device /dev/input/mice  No such
> device".
>
> /dev/input/mice seems to exist, however.

What do you get when you type:

$ ls -l /dev/input/mice
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  63 Jan  2 11:23 /dev/input/mice

Also, do you have gpm installed? If so, does your usb mouse work in the
console?

> Any ideas or suggestions? I installed the 2.4 kernel with woody, hoping it
> would have more mature usb handling capacity. Do I need to link or configure
> /dev/input/mice somehow, or is this a red herring?  Thanks for any help, as
> I am stuck!! I even had to boot into XP to send this...

If your /dev/input/mice doesn't match mine (see above) you could run
./MAKEDEV input in the /dev directory to create it.  The other two
possibilities I can think of are that you don't have the proper USB kernel
modules loaded, or that gpm is conflicting with x windows (this latter
option seems unlikely, as it tends to produce erratic behavior rather than
X failing to start up).

I'm no XF86Config-4 expert, but the

        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"

line looks wrong to me.  This looks like an option for someone with two
mice (as I have--a laptop with a trackpointer and usb mouse).  I think you
would want instead

        Option          "CorePointer"

On the other hand, I don't think this could cause the problems you're
seeing.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/