Brian wrote:

I am using a Seagate Travan 10 GB uncompressed tape drive to backup a
file server, (on the same machine).  Does anyone have problems with this
drive and/or the driver?  Sometimes it will return with an I/O error and
a tape is in the drive.  Another time it will work fine.  Or it may say
the resource is busy even though no processes are using it.  Also,
sometimes I try to stop the backup process because it is not doing
anything and the process won't die.  I read that sometimes if a driver
gets an I/O error then the process can't be killed and only rebooting
the machine will get rid of the process.  Is this untrue about not able
to kill a process?  What about the tape drive though?  It does seem to
respond better after a reboot.  Has anyone had trouble with this drive
or driver?

Yes, I have had many of the same experiences with the Seagate Travan 4 GB drive.

You might get some joy using scsiadd to delete and readd the device. Or, it might not see the drive when you try to readd it. No harm, since otherwise you can't use it again anyway until reboot.

Often, I have decided that a particular tape is bad, causing the problems you're seeing, only to find that a retension, plus starting to write at the beginning of the tape again clears everything up. Once the tape screws up, you can pretty much forget about continuing to append.

I've had better luck with some IBM OEM Travan drives that I got off EBay.

I have heard, and experience confirms, that some of the drives don't have very good motors, and you can tell if you hear the drive continue to reposition multiple times when you put the tape in the drive. It should try once and be through. If it's doing this, maybe you could return the drive and maybe hit on a better one next time.