>> > BTW -- I installed the Blackdown debs and I still don't have
>> > application/x-java-vm handler.  Did I miss a step (or something
>> > otherwise obvious)?
>>
>> note that the package on this site are compiled with gcc3.2, in order to
>> be compatible with mozilla from unstable. for testing and stable, you can
>> and should use an official blackdown mirror (see http://blackdown.org/ )
>>
>> if you are running unstable, galeon and mozilla should work out-of-the-box
>
> I'm running testing/unstable with gcc 3.2.3 and mozilla 1.3.1.
> about:plugins shows a lot of application/x-java-* entries, but no
> application/x-java-vm.

strange, I've never seen this behaviour. have you tried the original .bin
from blackdown? the package contains exactly the same files, so I don't
think the debs are the problem.

maybe the problem is caused by an older installation of java? maybe a user
setting? do all the accounts on your system have the same problem?
good luck,

--
Joris