On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 10:02 -0300, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
> Hi. We use Debian on a number of machines, and, to avoid downloading
> the same packages multiple times, we download debian cd images (which
> are kept updated with jigdo) to a server and set sources.list to point
> (only) to this images.
>
> But this has obvious problems.
> What is the "correct" way to share the apt cache? I think we should
> keep /var/cache/apt/archives in the server and mount it with nfs in
> the other computers. But I'm not shure this is the "correct" way; I
> don't know enough about the behaviour of apt to be sure that this
> won't bring an obscure problem. What should I do?

I do exactly that to keep my 2 Debian systems up to date. this approach
is not the only one, there are a few proxy servers dedicated to apt
repositories: apt-cacher/apt-proxy/approx. a brief comparison:

nfs shared:
+ much more economic on diskspace usage
+ simple to set up, no need to change sources.list
- small security issue: all clients with unique packages need r/w access
to the master apt cache, with root access (no_root_squash). secure apt
may be enough to render a security breach useless though
- for 'apt-get autoclean' to work the way you'd want it to, the machine
on wich it is issued must have a complete sources.list, covering all
repositories used anywhere on the network. don't forget to 'apt-get
update' right before that either... (this problem gets worse when your
network uses more than 1 architecture!)

apt proxies:
+ proven setup, no known security issues
+ no extra hassle for networks containing multiple architectures
+ no 'apt-get clean' oops-moments
- huge combined diskspace usage: every package appears once in the cache
plus once on every machine (though mounting /var/cache/apt/archives in
tmpfs and regularly 'apt-get clean'ing may help)
- all sources.list must be adapted, unless your network router can
redirect http traffic to a transparent proxy

good luck!

--
Joris