I have a Debian Stable machine that's doing two odd things when
rebooting.  Namely, Apache2 isn't coming up and Postgresql's domain
socket is missing.

First the Postgresql problem.  I post separately about apache.

After a reboot I get this:

    $ psql template1
    psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
            connections on Unix domain socket
"/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

But, if I restart postgresql:

    $ sudo /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.1 stop
    Stopping PostgreSQL 8.1 database server: main.

    $ sudo /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.1 start
    Starting PostgreSQL 8.1 database server: main.

    $ psql template1

           \h for help with SQL commands
           \? for help with psql commands
           \q to quit

    template1=> \q

Is it possible that something is cleaning /var/run *after* postgresql
starts?

The machine uses runlevel 2:

    $ who -r
             run-level 2  Jul 27 18:46                   last=4

Here's my init.d scripts that are in runlevel 2.  Look down and you
will see Postgresql at S20 with other applications.

    $ ls -1 /etc/rc2.d
    K10atd
    K10cron
    K10syslog-ng
    S10sysklogd
    S11klogd
    S14ppp
    S15logical
    S16mountnfsforlogical.sh
    S18atd
    S18portmap
    S19spamassassin
    S19syslog-ng
    S20binfmt-support
    S20courier-authdaemon
    S20courier-imap
    S20courier-imap-ssl
    S20courier-mta
    S20courier-pop
    S20courier-pop-ssl
    S20darwinss
    S20exim4
    S20grlogcheck
    S20httpd
    S20httpd2
    S20inetd
    S20jabber
    S20makedev
    S20mysqld
    S20mysqld-helper
    S20netatalk
    S20nfs-kernel-server
    S20ntop
    S20oidentd
    S20postfix
    S20postgresql-8.1
    S20rmnologin
    S20rsync
    S20saslauthd
    S20ssh
    S20syslog-ng
    S20sysstat
    S20xmail
    S21nfs-common
    S21quotarpc
    S23ntp-server
    S25mdadm
    S30sysctl
    S89cron
    S91apache2
    S91ifp_httpd
    S99jabber
    S99stop-bootlogd
    S99ud

Any ideas why the socket is gone after the reboot?

--
Bill Moseley
[EMAIL PROTECTED]