Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 01:12:20PM -0500, Rick Reynolds wrote:
>>  It's probably worth getting a
>> larger hard drive and keeping a Dell-supported OS on there as a dual
>> boot option just so you can verify that any problems you're having are
>> not hardware related.  But if you're more hardware savvy than I am, that
>> might not be an issue for you (this is my first laptop I've ever owned).
>
> how ironic is it that you have to keep around a notoriously unreliable
> operating system to prove to the manufacturer that their hardware is
> failing...

I manage two Thinkpads: my own and my girl friends' (that was bought
second hand). Both happen to have the 'factory installed OS', but
IBM/Lenovo didn't require that for diagnosis.

The used laptop's hard drive failed as soon as I tried to fill the disk
with data from block 1 to last. I just phoned them once, and received
the replacement within 24 hours.

On the other box the multiburner failed with read/write errors and I got
a replacement within 24 hours after reading the relevant parts of
/var/log/syslog to the support line.

YMMV, but I am a happy Thinkpad user,

Johannes