hce <webmail.hce <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am using mplayer to watch DVD video movies. Some DVD can be
> displayed on the screen well, but others were displayed in a distorted
> picture with 3 columns repeated the same contents. Does anyone know
> what was that problem and how to fix it?
>
> I was using following command:
>
> mplayer -fs dvd:////media/INCONVENIENTTRUTH/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB

First of all, you should be able to use a more simplified command line,
something like:

mplayer -fs dvd://

should do it. You may have to specify a title number, start with mplayer -fs
dvd://1 and increase the number until something sensible happens. Hard to tell
you in advance which number to use, depends on the DVD.

Now, to your problem. I think we first need to figure out if this is an
mplayer issue or an issue with the DVD itself. Try playing the DVD on a normal
player, or using another program like totem. Do you get the same effect?

If so, it's a problem with the DVD. If the DVD is an original, bought copy,
you've either been ripped off or something has gone seriously screwy. If it's
a copy, that's what you get for trying to rip off the film company ;-)

Now assuming other players play it OK, it's starting to sound like an mplayer
problem. It would be helpful to see the text output by mplayer when playing the
DVD.

If mplayer has a problem and so does some other software eg totem, but a
hardware DVD player has no problem with it, that implies problems with the DVD
reading libraries such as libdvdread and libdvdcss, in which case we are
starting to get out of my depth, but let us know what versions of these
libraries you have anyway...

Mark