On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 23:25:47 +1000, Paul Andreassen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to have a PREEMPT kernel while using the closed source nVidia
> driver?
>
> I've compiled the stable kernel 2.6.18 and the backported kernel 2.6.22, and
> both kill random programs.  Its strange because it some times kills the game
> I'm running, sometime faults on boot up and once gcc actually died.

Such sporadic problems can be caused by faulty hardware. (bad RAM, power
supply instability, insufficient cooling, ...) GCC for example can
sometimes function as a sort of CPU-and-memory-stress-tester.

Can you run your system (same load) on the "nv" driver without problems?
Did you test this for a sufficiently long time so that you can be sure
that the crashes only happen with the nvidia driver?

          Florian   |