--- Hal Vaughan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wednesday 02 January 2008, Andrew Sackville-West
> wrote:
> > > I can control my system, I can't control my
> clients' computers, so
> > > I want a minimum of possible errors on their
> computers.
> > >
> > > I would not want to make it easy for someone to
> grab my code and
> > > compete.  Maybe later, but I'm still within a
> year of finishing all
> > > the development work.
> >
> > I can understand. And, as I said, I am not
> attempting to discuss your
> > particular usage. Just the idea of open vs. closed
> source in general
> > and the economic arguments in favor of clsoed
> source. And frankly,
> > I'm not sure where I stand in a situation like
> yours. Likely in a
> > similar position.
>
> I've considered this situation many times over.  All
> the tools I use are
> open source.  I avoid closed source programs
> whenever possible and have
> been quite keen to build my business on a grounds
> that I consider
> ethical and moral.
>
> My first post on this thread was in response to
> someone making what I
> consider a quite foolish statement that,
> essentially, closed source
> software was unethical.  I know some people respect
> (such as RMS) say
> that, but I also think it's a statement that's more
> easily made by
> people who get nice tidy paychecks and aren't the
> ones who have to
> figure out how to do the marketing.

fair enough, kinda hard to separate the ideal from the
practical when you have to make a living at it

> If I write a program, a story, a song, a script, or
> anything else, or if
> I create a song or movie or any other IP work, I
> made it.  Just as if I
> put the effort into making a chair or a car or
> anything else.  It's up
> to me to decide what I do with it and how I'll find
> a way to get
> rewarded for my work.  If I want to sell it as
> closed source software,
> I have every right to do it.  If someone doesn't
> like it, then they
> don't have to buy it or deal with it.
>
> On the flip side, I do contribute to FOSS projects
> and hope, when this
> work is done, that any programming I do later will
> all be FOSS, but for
> now, I have the task of earning a living to deal
> with as well.
>
> > > It would level the playing field if everyone
> were on the same
> > > field. They're not.
> >
> > true.
>
> I think eventually we'll see more open source than
> closed source, but
> over the past 25 years or so, it seems the
> innovations have been made
> in closed source, then emulated in open source.
> There are advantages
> to different business models.

i agree with both sides of the equasion here but,
personally find that any reason to open source seems
to make sense for the business as well. examples being
in the updating and maintanece of systems, the fact
that the company was going to pay for software either
way, so why not develop it in a model that allows them
to have it modified to meet their needs even if the
origional programer is no longer with the company.
further, the open source model seems to be of benefit
in areas where sensitive data is concerned (anyone can
write an encription program, but if it is available in
an open source setting, like debugging it benefits
from more eyes to see problems)

like always just my 0.02

jwlockhart

Registered Linux User #458799